Tuesday, January 4, 2011

First post

I think the title says it all. This will be my first real attempt at maintaining a blog (that crappy Myspace one doesn't count). This blog will focus on the development of my art as continue my studies in pursuing a degree and career in art. I've been holding off on starting a blog mainly for the fact that I really didn't have any work to really show off as my own. What I mean by this was that most of my work contained in my portfolio was strictly academic work(still-life s, life drawings, color studies etc..). These things display my technique (or lack thereof) but don't really say much about me personally. I told myself that I would start a blog when I finally got to a point where I was turning out work that truly represented me as an artist. A couple of weeks ago I feel like I reached this point when I was given free reign on my final illustration project last semester. Because of the freedom, I created two pieces based on a graphic novel which I may or may not make(I'll post the actual pieces in the next post). Another more obvious reason was that I never felt my work work was worth showing off. To some degree I still feel like this is true but honestly this feeling will never go away. By not showing my work, I'm missing out on an opportunity to receive feedback from a variety of sources and track my progress as well. Starting now, I'm going to attempt to update this blog as much as possible. Both good and bad (probably a lot of that actually) but the feedback I receive will only make me a better artist in the long run. so here's to the first of hopefully many posts in future. To end my first post, here's a photo from a series I did in my photography class last year. It seems rather fitting in a way.
Steven

No comments:

Post a Comment