Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Benefits of Working

It's been nearly a month since the end of the semester and started working full time again and I'm already starting to feel exhausted. As previously stated, I feel very fortunate and grateful to have a job, but since I switched to working first shift, my body clock hasn't exactly "synched" up so to speak. This has resulted in a lack of sleep most nights. As a consequence, I haven't been able to make it to the studio this week at all to work on my current painting. To be quite honest, the current update of my blog is basically me trying to feel like I accomplished something today (well I woke up about an hour ago so technically I didn't get anything done yesterday). Hopefully, when I eventually wake up tomorrow( today?) I'll manage to get down to the studio. It's obvious that I need to develop some new habit in my schedule.

While at work today, My manager had inquired me about doing some labels for some beer he is currently brewing. He gave me a very broad outline in what he was looking for and I decided I'm going to take a crack at it. If i get a chance, I think i might try to go digital with it. I've been looking for an excuse to go down to Kendall and try out their new touch screen tablets so this might be a good exercise to experiment with that. It's been a while since I've used illustrator so I don't imagine this will come natural but I need to start somewhere.

I'll leave this with another excerpt of my essay "Perspectives of motivation" (please ignore the incited sources, I'm very terrible that).


What is art? Such a broad question about an undefined thing has invoked multiple theories and responses and always will. Illustration along with work considered "abstract" are commonly argued as being defined as "art". In it's most simplified form, illustration has been associated with works that are generally created with an intended purpose or direction such as articles or stories etc… Fine art on the other hand has been associated with aesthetics or concepts and is often synonymous with gallery work. However, in more recent years, the dividing line between fine art and illustration has begun to blur as successful illustrates have gone on to have successful fine art careers and vice versa. Despite the cross over appeal, there are still many similarities between the two from the start. Stylistically, illustrators and fine artists have shared many qualities in their work as fine artist are commonly drawing influence from illustrators and vice versa. Documented in the online blog Illustration Art, David Apatoff has written extensively about the technical similarities shared by illustrators and fine artists such as Bernie Fuchs, Robert Rauschenberg and Franz Kline (Apatoff 06).

No comments:

Post a Comment