Friday, January 6, 2012

Deju Vu

Continuing the trend of small projects, here is a small portrait I did of my roommate for a belated Christmas/birthday present.
I was looking at my older ink drawings the other day an noticed that despite the noticeable improvement in my line work, they did possess a certain amount of energy that I think is lacking in my current work. I was a lot more "impulsive" with ink when I first started using it which is something I tried it replicate with this piece. Unfortunately, it looks a little too similar to my earlier ink drawings than I care to admit.
In addition to this, I also restarted an ink drawing from the previous semester. My final project from Illustration Life Drawing III was turning out real nice until I accidentally messed up while spotting blacks. It was a huge shadow area that forced to me to compensate the other black areas. I normally don't start over old projects but this particular ink drawing had a lot of good elements working for it judging from the overall positive feedback I received during my critique. I decided to use watercolor paper instead of gessoed board this time so the ink will absorb better in the surface and if I have to use any kind of white out, it will most likely not be as noticeable. Also, this will be a good side project to work on since I probably won't touch ink for any of my studio classes this semester. Here is a little progress so far.
This will be my last entry before school starts on Monday so who knows how often this will get updated. Hopefully more than once very 6 months.

3 comments:

  1. Whoa I can't believe you're re-doing that project. I hope you post before and after pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan on it but god knows when I'll actually complete it when school starts up on monday.

    ReplyDelete