Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Commissions/Studies

In addition to doing small studies, this break has been a good opportunity to catch up on some commissions. Recently, my studio mate Brandon Belote decided to merge spaces together in the studio we share with other artists. This has tuned out to be good artistically and financially as it saves both of us money and we've been both spending more time in the studio. Today I worked on a couple commissions and a small study.
This small study of my friend Blair was done in my sketchbook. Before I proceeded to ruin this drawing by using ink washes, I was very happy with the inked line work. It didn't help that the paper in my sketchbook isn't the best of quality. I might expand this into a bigger ink drawing later on.

After warming up with this study, I moved on to some commissions. The following commission was completed tonight: ( note to self, I need to get a good scanner instead of using my crappy phone camera).
In general, I'm pretty happy how this turned out. I feel like I'm getting closer and closer to achieving that fine line between " not too lose or too tight". Still have lots to improve on but I'm showing progress. One thing that has had a tremendous impact is working on paper again. My last few ink drawings have been on gessoed board. Since working in my sketchbook,  it's apparent that working on paper is what I should have been doing all along ( Duh!) After completing one more commission I think I'm going to attempt a larger project to finish up the year/winter break. Until then, Happy New Year.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you've been working on building up them skills, Steve.:] Boy those zebra masks freak me out, hah.

    ReplyDelete